Tuesday, February 4, 2014

That worked *crazy* good!

So, my recipe turned out AMAZING. I ended up adding just a little bit of cornstarch for thickening, and some corn. So. Good.

Here's the recipe if you want it. I used a crock pot and cooked it for a crazy long time on low. However, you probably don't need to cook it as long as I did.

Luka's Crazy Good Black Bean Soup
ingredients:
2 cans of black beans--one with juice, the other rinsed and drained
1 can of Rotel
1 can chicken broth
carrots, onions, celery--I used 3 stalks of celery, 1/2 of a medium onion, and 6 baby carrots but you can really use as much or as little as you want--if you want to use at all
1 pack of taco seasoning
garlic powder
1 TBSP corn starch
1/2 cup corn (either canned or frozen)
1 tsp sugar (optional but I used it to offset the acidity)

Saute carrots, onions and celery until slightly tender. Add black beans, Rotel, and chicken broth. Use a potato masher to smoosh up the beans. Add taco seasoning, garlic powder (to taste), a pinch of salt, and sugar. Cook on low heat, or put in crock pot. I cooked it for about 18 hours on low, but you could achieve the same results by cooking on the stove top with a low simmer for a shorter period of time.

The broth will remain kind of thin, but you can mix the cornstarch with a little bit of cold water until blended, then stir into the soup. I would suggest doing this 30 minutes to 1 hour before eating. If you are cooking on a stovetop, you will want to stir more often after this step to prevent it from burning. This is also when I added the corn. Continue to cook until you are ready to eat. The cornstarch will thicken it up beautifully.

I topped it with a dab of greek yogurt and a sprinkle of shredded parmesan cheese.

If you try it, let me know how it worked for you!

2 comments:

  1. The recipe is really quite similar to the chicken tortilla soup recipe, but sounds good! Seasoned black beans or plain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so trying it. I think I have all of that currently in my house. Dinner tomorrow night...and I start it tonight? Yes please!

    How much does this make?

    ReplyDelete