Tuesday, July 2, 2013

It's Zucchini time!


One of my favorite seasons is Zucchini season! I will eat some Hella Zucchini from now until it stops being free. I have an awesome boss that plants a huge garden and shares the bounty. Zucchini season is followed by cucumber season, and then tomato season.

I usually just sautee the zucchini with onions and mushrooms in olive oil and garlic. Sometimes, I add a can of diced tomatos. And of course, there is alot to be said for a good zucchini casserole. I like zucchini bread, (ask me about my chocolate chip zucchini cake) but honestly, I would rather have it savory.

I made up a new recipe last night using quinoa and zucchini that turned out SO GOOD that I just have to share. The bad part is, it makes a 9x11 baking dish of it. The good news is, it tastes just as good the next day! I LOVE leftovers! And it seemed pretty band friendly because it's not rice!

Luka's super duper awesome zucchini and quinoa casserole
ingredients:
1 medium or 2 small green zucchini (washed, trimmed, quartered, and sliced)
1 medium or 2 small yellow squash (washed, trimmed, quartered, and sliced)
1/2 cup fresh chopped Shitake mushrooms (white mushrooms work just as well)
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup chopped peppers (I like tricolor peppers)
2TBSP minced garlic (I like garlic)
salt to taste
1/2-3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2-3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups Silk (plain) or skim milk (add more if needed)
1/2 cup egg whites (or 1 egg beaten)
1.5 cups of chopped grilled chicken breast (optional)
2 cups cooked white quinoa

Cook the quinoa in the chicken broth (or regular water) per package directions. Sautee the minced garlic, onion, mushroom, squash, and zucchini in a large skillet until tender with a dash of salt.

Spray a 9x11 baking dish, and mix together the cream of mushroom soup, milk, and egg white. When quinoa is done, mix with the vegetables and chicken, then place in baking dish. Pour milk/soup mix over the top and stir in so it's dispersed. Stir in the shredded cheese. Bake at 350F for one hour. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes to set.

I didn't do a calculation of calories and protien because everyone will make it differently. All I know is that it turned out awesome, and tasted delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment