Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sugar shock just from watching


Last night, I watched the Wendy Williams show when I got home from work.  Her special guest star was Mama June (mother of Honey Boo Boo).  Let me preface this by saying that other than seeing Honey Boo Boo on an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras like 5 years ago, I have no knowledge of the whole family dynamic.

Mama June was there to talk about the new book, she made some recipes, and she touched slightly on her weight loss (supossedly 100 pounds without surgery). I was interested in how she lost 100 pounds, especially since she still looks pretty much the exact same as she did preweight loss. They didn't discuss it--Mama June just said that she lost the weight because she is doing more running around with the show.  She apparently went from a Lane Bryant size 26 to a Lane Bryant size 18.  I don't know.

Now the good part.  Apparently, she has recipes, and she shared with Wendy Williams. The first recipe was for spaghetti (but they called it 'sgetti, I think). I don't know what I expected, but it far surpassed my daytime talk TV nightmares.

3 sticks of butter
1 whole bottle of ketchup
microwave butter and ketchup together until the butter melts, and then stir it up.
Pour over a big pot of cooked spaghetti noodles.

I WISH I could make this stuff up. This literally made my stomach cringe just thinking of the empty fat and calories in that meal. It's supossed to taste like Chef Boyardee--but I will NOT be making it to find out. And not a lick of protien in there!

The second recipe was for something called chunky baked beans. From what I could gather, this is what I saw go into the pan:
6 cans of baked beans
1 cup of brown sugar
12 hotdogs torn into pieces (of which Mama June was eating while she was tearing)
a pound of cooked bacon
optional: bbq sauce, molasses, honey, ketchup, etc

Mix all that together and bake it. Again, the sugar alone is enough to cause a diabetic coma. Canned baked beans are good, but chock full of sugar. Then to add another full cup of sugar! And even more sugar if you add the additional options of bbq sauce, molasses, etc? My new name for this dish? Diabetic coma in a tin foil pan. I'm getting it trademarked. So don't think about using it. 

But to publicize this type of recipe in a country with an obesity epidemic, it just kills me. And I actually have to wonder how many people saw these recipes, and then made them for dinner for their kids?

The ELB and I don't have a little knee-biter yet--but we will one day--and I can only hope that I have learned from my lifetime of food mistakes and weight battles to help him/her to grow up normal and healthy and without the same issues that I have had my entire life.

3 comments:

  1. My god, my stomach just rolled reading those "recipes". Disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, most people are into this family for the trainwreck/freak show factor, as far as I can tell. So I can't imagine anyone following these "recipes" who wasn't already feeding their family trash. OMG, so gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch the show...they make me laugh. I can't say that I think I would ever take cooking advice from them :)

    ReplyDelete