Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Staying (close) to plan


Since my last fill appt, per the nutritionist, I have been working to stay around (or under) 1500 calories a day. Some days are easier than others. Yesterday, I really thought that I would have trouble staying under because of stress. But, shockingly, I only went over by 115 calories. I had a roll with Smart Balance with my zucchini/kale/chicken/mushroom/bean throwpot. I don't know if throwpot is a real thing--but basically, 99% of the time, this is how I cook dinner. I am a LOVER of the one pot meal. Call me a casserole girl, for sure!

How to make a throwpot (a term I totally just made up while typing this post). I pull out veggies and assorted ingredients from the fridge. I cut them up, I throw them in my favorite deep Kitchen Aid skillet with olive oil and minced garlic and salt. I cook until they start to get tender, then throw in some protein. I usually use grilled chicken and/or beans that have been drained and rinsed. There is usually some sort of tomato element involved (spaghetti sauce, diced tomatos, plain tomato sauce), and some seasoning. I simmer this for an additional 10-20 minutes until its all melded flavor wise. I scoop into a bowl, and depending on which way the flavors are going (spicy mexican or italian), I top with either a scoop of Fage Greek 0% yogurt, or with a dash of parmesan cheese.

There are always leftovers for the next night or two, which is totally awesome because who wants to cook every single night, especially when it's hot as Hades right now?

When I added up my calories for the day, including my dinner (and the three mini bite size candies that I did eat at 42 calories each) I was sitting pretty at 1466.  Then I remembered that I had a roll, and that bumped it over. Oh well--it's not the end of the world. That roll was alot less calories than a donut (or three) would have been. Right?

So, today I was right back on track. Then I ended up going to the farm to get kale for babygirl (and me) and picked up lunch there. They have this awesome lunch that I love (two sides with a drink for $3.50), and since I'm broke, and I haven't eaten out this week--well, I got my lunch. And I ate every single bite of the collard greens and hashbrown casserole. I am full--but not stuffed--and it was good. And I counted for my calories and I will be awesome the rest of the day, and life goes on.

I plan on using the elliptical tonight when I get home--even though my thighs are still screaming at me for Monday night. I also walked 4 laps this morning, so I do have that going on in my favor.

It's hump day, ya'll! It's all downhill from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment